|Posted by foodgeek on March 21, 2010 at 12:25 AM|
These muffins are great for breakfast or just as a snack, chocful of healthy stuff including flax seeds, oat bran, carrots, apples, raisins and nuts. One standard muffin size serving is 220 calories. This recipe makes 15 standard size muffins. I like to use mini-muffin pans to keep a single service small. I use an ice cream scoop to drop the batter into the muffin cups. For standard muffin pan, fill the cups at about 3/4 full. For mini-muffins, I usually fill the cups so that it mounds about half an inch above the rim.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup ground flax seeds
3/4 cup oat bran
1 cup brown sugar
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 1/2 cups carrots, finely shredded
2 apples, peeled and shredded
1/2 cup raisins
1 cup nuts, chopped
3/4 cup milk
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. Grease muffin pan or line with paper muffin liners.
3. In a large bowl, mix together flour, flax seed, oat bran, brown sugar, baking sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
4. Stir in the carrots, apples, raisins and nuts.
5. Combine themilk, eggs, vanilla and oil in a separate bowl.
6. Pour liquid into the dry ingredients.
7. Stir until ingredients are moistened. Do not overmix.
8. Fill prepared muffins cups about 3/4 full with batter.
9. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, oruntil a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean.